Protecting new stone walls against moisture and repairing the old ones
In order to ensure the durability, functionality, security and aesthetic appearance of the construction elements (façade walls, beams, columns, retaining walls) that are exposed to weather phenomena (rain, snow, high air humidity), it is essential that they are protected and secured against moisture. For that purpose, it is mandatory to make them with materials that will provide watertightness, i.e. waterproofing of the surfaces..
Advice on protection against moisture of new façade walls, fence walls and retaining walls made with natural stone
1. Preparation of the material for setting and grouting the stones that will be used for building the wall
In order to have a watertight compound for setting the stones and grouting the joints, it is mandatory to use HIDROFOB-21 – a waterproofing admixture from the product range of Ading.
The ratio of the components is envisaged for preparation of a compound that is going to be mixed in a mixer and by using a metal bucket of 20 kg as a measurement unit.
Necessary components for preparation of the compound, white colour
1. One bucket of sand from fine ground marble powder, particle size 0.8 – 1.25 mm or up to 2 mm
2. Half bucket of white cement;
3. Quarter bucket of lime;
4. Approximate amount of water: 5 – 6 litres;
5. 200 gr HIDROFOB-21 – waterproofing admixtures manufactured by Ading.
If you want the compound to be grey in colour, you should use the same quantity of material with the following components: ground sand, grey cement, lime, water and HIDROFOB-21 and by adding coloured pigment powder you can obtain a grout in colour of your choice.
Procedure for preparation of the compound:
Add half of the required water amount into the mixer and then add the sand, cement and lime. HIDROFOB-21 should be added to the remaining water amount; it should be mixed and poured into the mixer. Then the components should be slowly mixed and some water may be additionally added if it is necessary to reach the required consistency of the mix.
This mixture is then used to set the stones and grout the joints on a previously wetted surface.
After you finish setting the stones and grouting the joints, in order to ensure that the stone itself is watertight, the waterproofing admixture HIDROFOB-21 should be applied on the entire surface by using a sprayer.
After completing all the procedures, in order to ensure that the compound obtained with the waterproofing admixture is waterproof, after the two or three days necessary for curing (depending on the temperature) make a test by splashing water with a hose or by pouring a bottle of water on the surface.
You will be able to observe that drops of water remain on the surface of the wall and that they are not soaked into the wall.
Advice on protection against moisture of old façade walls, fence walls and retaining walls made with natural stone
The procedure for preparation of the material and for grouting is the same, but the order of doing things is the following:
1. Removal of the existing grout from the stone wall;
2. Preparation of the recommended watertight compound with HIDROFOB-21 – a waterproofing admixture by adding the same components and in the same amount as above;
3. Grouting with the recommended watertight grout;
4. Application of the waterproofing admixture HIDROFOB-21 on the entire surface of the wall by using a sprayer in order to ensure an entirely watertight surface.